A new weather app is available for Apple devices and Google Play. No, it’s not an app for us adults, although adults might find it fun, too! “Kid Weather” is designed for toddlers to pre-teens.
Designed by meteorologist Justin Berk and his son, 6 year old Brendan, the interactive app was developed to be fun and educational. It was designed with STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) in mind and includes real time weather conditions, forecasts, and facts about the weather.
You can go to http://www.kidweatherapp.com for a complete description of the app, but here’s the highlights:
- An eye-catching display of the weather with a kid or animal avatar that is dressed for conditions and short term forecasts. Use your hometown or pick a new location to track.
- Change your avatar and make the animals either a boy or a girl. *Wear? This interactive feature lets you change the weather on your own when it might be boring outside. Raise or lower the temperature, make it sunny, rainy, snowy, or anything in between. See how your avatar will dress in those conditions.
- Educational: Trivia, fun facts, safety tips, and extreme weather records. Learn something new every day of the year. Topics include: Animal Weather, Clouds, Expressions, Extreme Weather, Instruments, Lightning, Nursery Rhymes and Song Lyrics, Rainbows, Sky Color, Seasons, Top US Cities for snow, US State Records, Weather Folklore, Weather Map symbols.
- Math: Includes a Fahrenheit to Celsius calculator
- Graphing: Plot basic weather conditions and keep track by week and month. A great way to introduce kids to a key element of S.T.E.M graphing
The app is available via Apple’s App Store and Google Play for only $1.99.